Cecelia doesn’t like political, religious, or personal matters. They make her cry, don't make Cecelia cry. She also doesn’t like it when people badger staff for mod posts or to check apps (please use the tagbox under Links & Tags). She requests that people do not advertise or be hostile in the chat as well. If there is an issue, please contact staff privately. Let’s keep Cecelia happy and have a fun time! [Link to Cecelia]

This is the plotter box. He's currently without a name because his parents are rather lame. As one can imagine, one can plot in the plotter box, but RPing and other OOC dialogue are strictly forbidden. Please keep it fun for everyone.

Add Reply
New Poll

Birthright
Posted:Feb 8 2018, 12:27 PM
The time was nigh.

With resistance activity increasing, one could never be too cautious. After all, his life had been targeted countless times..

Whether in life or in death, Lucien’s legacy must go on. An empire’s rulers aren’t chosen heretically as a kingdom’s would be. Instead, the people choose the empire’s ruler. Or rather, the council does. That’s why…

“Winston.”

“Yes, my lord?”

“Fetch me my son.” This sentence came out in a breath, or a sigh. Exhaustion poured out from an otherwise indomitable frame. The fight – as always – was imminent. Alas.

Winston, a hypno, glanced over toward the lean figure clad in black who could have just as easily done the task. “Of course, my lord. Right away.” Winston bowed before taking his leave. The door was quietly closed behind him.

“Alexander, you stay here. We have much to discuss with Voltaire.”

“As you wish, Sir.”

Three knocks rapped at a bedroom door. “Young master.” The tinny, weathered voice was slightly muffled. He knocked again after just a moment’s pause. “Young master, are you in? Your father would like to see you in his office. Please come quickly.”

Frey

GENERAL WANT-AD • CHARACTER WANT-AD
Military
Mutant
Overseer's bitch
Western Reaches
ERGO
868 posts
Posted:Feb 10 2018, 10:33 AM
Headphones covered Voltaire’s ears as he sat at his desk, sketching out possible designs for a new project as part of his graduate studies. Set to the lowest levels possible, the music emitted was barely more than a whisper in his ears, but without his “aids” it might as well have been a blaring cacophony of sound. But then, that was the point. It helped block out everything else, narrowing his focus to the scattered blueprints and notations before him.

Even so, the knock, just barely louder, was hard to miss. Already wearing a faint frown, the redhead replaced the headphones with the noise dampeners that usually occupied his ears, staring after the door and the muffled voice beyond.

Lucien wanted a meeting in his office. On cue, he felt his guts begin to twist, lungs constricting until it was almost hard to breathe. The beginnings of fear bubbled in his chest. Private meetings did not bode well— not in the case of his father.

Avoiding it, however, would possibly be worse. So, fixing a mask of calm onto his features, Voltaire rose and made for the door to his room. Breathe. He slipped into the hallway, acknowledging Winston with a short nod. Show no fear. Betray no weakness.

Forcing a brisk pace, he made his way to the office, stopping with arms crossed in the doorway. Wary amber eyes flicked once to the crow lingering in the room, then settled on the man behind the desk. A cool voice, steady for now, broke a silence he’d rather have let be. “Yes?”

ALEXANDER DELACROIX
Military
Mutant
Student/Intern
Frey
371 posts
Posted:Feb 10 2018, 11:12 AM
Lucien was getting antsy – anxious, even. Alexander could read him like a book at this point. Whenever the overseer stood up from his desk to look out the window behind him – arms crossed along the small of his back – he was contemplating whilst trying to put his mind at ease. It’s why his office overlooked the gardens. It’s why he couldn’t see the city from his window.

During this private moment, Lucien was silent. He didn’t say a word. His mind, on the other hand, was probably racing through essays and lectures as a way to formulate the upcoming meeting. It was all a matter of practise and inner strength – to come off as indomitable and with conviction.

When Voltaire announced his arrival, Lucien turned to face the young red. “Please, have a sit.” A hand gestured to the plush chair in front of his desk. “Alexander, if you would–” and then he gestured to drinks. Even if Voltaire sat down, even if Voltaire decided not to sit down, Lucien remained standing.

Silence on Lucien’s half lingered for some time. What cut through the soundtrack (or lack thereof) was the rattling of glasses as Alexander shakenly poured ice water into three cups.

“…There comes a time when one’s children are all grown up and capable of sailing across the blue sea by themselves.” An interesting starter. Oddly familial and sentimental for the overseer. Alas, Lucien was a man. The overseer was only one facet that made him into a man. “At that time, it is the duty of the parent to let their children take over.

“Voltaire, I believe you are at a point in your life where you are ready to start training to take my place. I will not be here forever. In the event that I am unable to continue my duties, it will be you who will take my place as both head of the Delacroix… and potentially as the overseer.”

Alexander, cradling each glass with two hands, delivered the glasses to Voltaire and Lucien one at a time.

“I have much to tell you, Voltaire, about your birthright.”

Frey

Military
Mutant
Overseer's bitch
Western Reaches
ERGO
868 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 01:22 PM
Have a seat? No, he didn’t think so. Even if the small disobedience ended up an antagonistic start to the meeting, Voltaire wasn’t about to corner himself in such a manner. Not now. So his body remained still, feet locked in place aside from a subtle shift of weight. Escape remained close, if it became necessary.

With his father’s back still facing him, the younger Delacroix allowed his gaze to shift once more, lingering on his brother’s shaking hands until Lucien found his voice once more.

Although protests were already voicing themselves in his head, Voltaire held his silence, waiting for his father to finish with narrowed eyes and stiffened posture. A snide comment built on his tongue, let loose as soon as Lucien feel quiet. “Funny you should start all this with talk of sailing away.”

Briefly, his gaze diverted as he took what was meant to be his glass from Alexander and promptly set it aside. “Last I checked, your position was still not a monarchy, nor a ‘birthright’.”

ALEXANDER DELACROIX
Military
Mutant
Student/Intern
Frey
371 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 01:51 PM
“That’s correct.” Lucien had accepted his glass without another hint of acknowledgement. His eyes were solely on Voltaire who – like a thirteen year old boy – tried his best to antagonise. It wouldn’t work. Not this time. “Which is why your training starts immediately.

“You see: the council chooses the next overseer out of capable candidates. The people may nominate candidates, but the decision ultimately lies with the council.”
One sip later and the greying man continued his explanation with ease: “And… I can assure you that they will elect someone they believe they can control. Now, not anyone can be elected. It has to be someone young, educated, smart, with a public face.” The third glass remained on the tray. Currently untouched by an Alexander who waited quietly in the background. “If my calculations serve correct, I believe that you will be elected the next overseer whether or not I nominate you myself.”

Alexander folded his arms and shifted into contrapposto. He wasn’t engaged in the conversation at all. Why was he even here? There were other things to do. Things to do. A finger tapped twice on his sleeve.

Meanwhile, the overseer finally resigned to rest against his desk with ankles crossed before him. “I will not have my son be their puppet. You will train. Am I understood?”

Military
Mutant
Overseer's bitch
Western Reaches
ERGO
868 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 02:30 PM
Lucien didn’t seem to be listening. Of course, this was nothing new, but it did still draw out a growing sense of irritation. Fingers tightened around his arm, digging into the fabric of his sleeve.

“Surely the council has enough presence of mind to choose someone actually interested in politics? Someone who even majored for such a position?” he said back, brows knitting together into a frown. Considering some of the administration’s past actions, part of him wanted to state he wouldn’t be surprised if they were stupid enough not to. And even if he did technically meet the other qualifications Lucien had listed… If they decide to try, you can inform them I’m not interested.”

Another shift, this time to turn back the way he’d come— an attempt at determination. “No, I won’t. Because I won’t be taking up the position in the first place.”

ALEXANDER DELACROIX

(sorry Ally you’ve been forgotten)
Military
Mutant
Student/Intern
Frey
371 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 02:57 PM
Predictable. Truly, Voltaire was so predictable – it was practically a bore. If one is going to have moxie, he might as well be diversified. It’s people like these – the sheep – that power-hungry scavengers sink their teeth into. A pretty face and pleasant words were all that were needed for a figurehead.

“You seem to think you have a choice.” How plucky. “Let me clarify: you don’t.”

A ringed hand swept to Voltaire’s right, pointing to the back of the room with the whole hand. In that direction were two things: Alexander and the door. “Alexander will serve you from now on. He’ll answer all of your questions; show you the ropes when I’m not around.”

Great. Dump the kid onto Alexander. Not like he didn’t have enough on his plate. A weak hand lifted up the third glass to take a sip. He didn’t comment.

(He wishes he was ;; )

Military
Mutant
Overseer's bitch
Western Reaches
ERGO
868 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 04:07 PM
Voltaire managed to complete half of a turn before being stopped again. A few simple words ensured he couldn’t walk out just yet— not before this matter had been settled properly. Turning on his heel, though he made no move to step closer, he snapped, “No, Lucien, let me clarify: I don’t give a damn what the council wants. They’ll find someone else.” There was a choice, and on this, he would not bend. Not if he could help it.

Of course, another matter in the same camp had to arise soon after, because why on earth would there only be one? By a fraction, Voltaire’s glower deepened. “I will also not be making a servant out of my own brother.” Never mind that it had been years since it had felt right to call Alexander such. It wasn’t happening.

Adamant, now, he turned his back fully on both of the men still in the office, and started away.

ALEXANDER DELACROIX
Military
Mutant
Student/Intern
Frey
371 posts
Posted:Feb 13 2018, 04:18 PM
No one was more speechless than Alexander. Something struck a chord, and what little grasp he had on his glass was quickly lost as it plummeted towards the floor. SMASH Glass and liquid exploded everywhere in every direction. “Shit…” The black haired fellow crouched to collect the glass when – irritably – Lucien intervened:

“Leave it.” Alexander paused, then curled his fingers and rose to a stand. “Voltaire. Tomorrow at 6AM, be prepared to leave. Wear your best suit.” There were no alternatives. For now, Lucien allowed his son to storm off if he chose. The young man would gradually be worn down till he was smooth and pristine.

Excellence doesn’t happen over night.

Military
Mutant
Overseer's bitch
Western Reaches
ERGO
868 posts
Posted:Feb 17 2018, 09:46 AM
Don’t hesitate, don’t—“

SMASH!

Before he could stop himself, Voltaire jerked to a halt, whipping around with wide eyes to seek out the source of the sudden noise. Some part of him, not as irrational as he would have liked it to be, thought maybe something had been thrown at him and missed, or otherwise been broken in an outburst by his father. But all he found was a shaken Alexander— though why he couldn’t quite fathom— and Lucien as calm as he had been previously.

A slow breath shuddered out of his lungs as the younger redhead attempted to regain some semblance of composure. It was to his back that his father’s order was spoken, unanswered and apparently ignored. His resolve hadn’t been shaken just yet. There would be no early rising, no best suits, no bending to the will of the Overseer.

At least, that’s what he tried to tell himself.

ALEXANDER DELACROIX

end
Military
Mutant
Student/Intern
Frey
371 posts

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliations
dothack//Infinity Perish Song - join ussss Break the Wheel: a Season 7 GOT AU Kaleidoscope Distant Fantasies Pokemon: Terrene UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED
The "MMXVII" skin was designed and coded by ERGO & Terlim for SAVE YOUR GOODBYES use only. Mini-profiles and custom threads were coded by DOLLAR. Custom Forum Structure belongs to BLACK'S CODES.
All artwork, other coding, and role-play content belong to their respected creators.